Monday, May 4, 2009

Sunday was a rainy day, perfect for wandering around an art museum. So my parents and I wandered around the National Gallery for hours. It was sooo beautiful, inspiring, etc, and I took some snaps on my phone of some of my favorites.









The Repentant Magdalene. How haunting and gorgeous is this? It was perfectly framed in a doorway, and you just had to go towards it when you saw it. The skull (surprise) is symbolic of Christ, and its reflection is supposed to represent his ascension. And the tenderness on her face is perfect even though she's in shadow. Love.





Oh Degas. You make ballerinas so purty.















This crazy shit show is by Philip Guston. I love how it takes the conventionality of comics and makes it completely twisted and drowned in madness. The foreheads and legs show up in a lot of his paintings. So does a giant blood splattered Klu Klux Klan head. Yah we were freaked out too.

















I love this picture so much I almost made it my facebook picture. It's called Plum Brandy, and I want to be this woman's best friend and steal her hat. In that order.













So yeah. That's all.

No comments: